Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath can be embarrassing and may affect how you see yourself and even how others see you. Bad breath can also be associated with certain dental health problems. Because the source may be difficult to track down, an evaluation may be necessary. If you are suffering from bad breath, Dr. Frame, our Santa Clara dentist, can help.
Common causes of bad breath include:
1. Smoking, which allows tobacco, nicotine and other compounds to accumulate and dry the oral tissues for the telltale smell of “smoker’s breath”
2. Certain foods, including garlic, onion and milk, which can result in temporary bad breath
3. Sinus conditions, which causes bad breath due to postnasal drip, dry mouth and infection
4. Dry mouth, which prevents saliva from rinsing away bacteria and debris and often results in a build-up of foul-smelling compounds
5. Periodontal disease, a bacterial infection of the gums and underlying structures of the teeth
Although some causes of bad breath are minor and self-limiting, others are potentially serious and can affect your dental and general health. A comprehensive dental evaluation gives us an opportunity to identify the cause of your bad breath and make treatment recommendations. Because dry mouth and periodontal disease can both lead to more severe dental issues, treatment is critical. Gums, sugar-free candies and topical saliva replacement products may be needed to provide your mouth with the moistness it needs.
Other treatments may be necessary if you are diagnosed with periodontal disease. A deep-cleaning procedure may be recommended to clean plaque and tartar buildup above and below the gumline. Contact our office today to learn more or to schedule your appointment with Dr. Frame.
Back to Blog