Foods to Boost Your Oral Health
A balanced diet can be a great addition to any dental health routine, but some foods can be especially beneficial for your smile. Our dentist Dr. Frame can suggest specific dietary changes based on your individual nutritional needs.
Some of the best foods for your dental health include:
1. Cheese – Cheese is full of calcium and phosphorus, which strengthen enamel, but it also increases the oral pH level, which has a protective effect against tooth decay and cavities.
2. Black coffee – Coffee is better known for staining teeth, but a recent study found that coffee can also help keep your gums healthy. This is because coffee has anti-inflammatory properties and is a good source of antioxidants. Skip adding sugar to reduce the risk of cavities and decay.
3. Sugar-free gum and candies – Xylitol-sweetened treats can benefit your smile in a few different ways. First, xylitol can reduce the levels of Streptococci mutans and S. mutans, which are associated with cavities. Second, it can stimulate saliva flow, and saliva helps remineralize teeth. Enjoy a few pieces of sugar-free gum or candy a day, but be careful not to overdo it, since too much of this sugar alternative can lead to gastrointestinal problems.
4. Red wine – Wine is associated with cardiovascular benefits, but a recent study reveals that it also has antimicrobial properties.
5. Tea – Tea is a great source of antioxidants and fluoride, so it is good for both your gums and teeth. However, it also contains polyphenols, which can help prevent plaque buildup. Drink a few cups a day for the best results.
Contact us today to learn more or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Frame.
Back to Blog