How Fruit Juices Affect the Teeth
Fruit juice can be a refreshing and healthy treat, but research reveals that it may not be such a good idea for your teeth. In fact, kids who drink large volumes of juice may be more prone to tooth decay and even tooth loss than kids with a smaller intake.
Juice is high in sugar, but that is not its only problem. Juice also tends to be highly acidic. This combination of sugar and acid is what makes it so dangerous for teeth. The sugar feeds oral bacteria, which then produce their own form of acid. The acid level in the mouth can rise sharply and soften and erode the enamel on teeth faster than it can be re-mineralized. This leads to cavities.
Juice drinkers have several options that can protect their teeth. They can cut their juice intake down to just a glass a day, or they can mix their juice with water to cut down on their sugar intake and dilute the acid. Avoid brushing immediately after having your juice, since this can scratch or otherwise damage your now-softened enamel. Instead, rinse with water, and then brush about half an hour later.
Another option is to eat the fruit itself rather than drinking the juice, and this may even be the healthier option since not only does it reduce acid and sugar intake, but it also includes all of the fiber and nutrients that help make fruit such a good choice. Contact our office today to learn more or to schedule your appointment with Dr. Frame, our Santa Clara dentist.
Back to Blog